Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Solar Air Heater!

Solar Hot Air Heater!

The new solar air heater leaning up against the well/shower house where it will likely be installed as it is a near perfect south facing wall. Thermometer reading after just a minute behind the air outlet? 100 degrees and that's with outside air of 48. NICE! My guess is that this would easily heat our little shower house to a comfortable 70+ degrees on sunny days during the winter. A big thanks to Rick for building it!

Update 1: Went back out to get another temperature reading, 110 degrees! From what I've read online they can be expected to output air between 100-130 degrees or more on sunny days. Even on cloudy days they will put out air that will warm a space though obviously not as effectively.


Update 2: As of this update (1pm) it is 50 degrees outside and the current reading is 120+ (my thermometer tops out at 120) that's a 70 + degree gain.


So, cost on these, is 4x8 plywood, 2x4, paint, caulk, silicone, tempered glass assuming it is all bought new probably $100-150. My guesstimate is that in one winter the savings on electricity would be $300-500 depending on the use scenario. Cost on keeping our well/shower house heated to 50 degrees this winter has probably been $60-80, maybe more. To keep it heated to 75 for comfortable shower house temps would have been MUCH higher, easily $200+ as it would require an actual heater, not just the two heat lamps I currently use. Using the solar air heater, I think we'll be able to keep this structure heated to at least 75 on sunny days, for free next winter.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed! I think I'll give it a go myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have plans for this? I've been hoping to make a passive solar heater for the shed, and used to have plans but lost them...this looks like aluminum cans painted black, is it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice equipment..

    One of heat exchanger, transfer heat energy from solar to air. I belive the maker of this equipment is very brilliant and innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job!!!
    I wanted to make one of my own and found plans on net. Check http://solar.freeonplate.com/solar_panel_DIY.htm . There are some useful instructions too.

    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete